.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Missing You, Brother
Woah, it seems as if many people are reading my blog. I had just added my counter yesterday after going into Justin's blog and look at the number of hits --->113! Well, this certainly gives me more incentive to write. So here I am again!

Today, I am going to blog about my brother who is doing NS at the moment. Most of my friends and students know that I am very close to my brother. In fact, I see him more as a good friend than a fellow sibling from my mother's womb. Sadly, it is also because of this close proximity in our relationship that I miss him so much now! It applies not only to me. His candidness, sense of humour and willingness to listen are greatly missed by all in the house(Dad, Mum, myself and my medium-sized Spitz <--- my dog) and even his friends in church! He is such an affable and endearing BOY(Haha! He will kill me if he sees this. He's 21) and can easily charm girls the age of 5 to 85 down a tree. I am not exaggerating! You will understand why when you meet him in person.

Yesterday, my parents went over to Tekong to visit him. I didn't managed to go as there were only 2 tickets. It's only been 3 weeks since we last met and from the photos my parents took yesterday, I can see a more muscular, mature and confident brother who has adapted well to the cruel demands of NS life. Haha... This is despite his hairy egg-head! Oooh... Brother won't be too pleased to read this.

Anyway, I am really thankful that God has given me such a wonderful brother. It was not the case when he was born...sadly another true case of sibling rivalry. Before he was born, I was the only child and my parents were able to shower me with full-fledged attention and caved in to whatever whims and fancies I had. Upon his birth, this monopoly of attention had to be shifted and shared and it was not the happiest thing that could happen to anyone, especially me!

From young, my brother and I were already very different in character, personality and talent. He was the looker, I was the geek. He was superior in sports and I was more academically-inclined. My brother, being playful in nature, often neglected his studies. He did not realise the extent of his folly until the day he got back his 'O' levels. It was only then that it dawned upon him that he was not going to move on with the rest of his peers. However, the family did not put him down. Instead, we continued to support him with encouragement. It was with these encouragement that he decided to retake his 'O's. I saw him try his best in that year. Sadly, he did badly again. He was despondent and disappointed at not being rewarded for his efforts he had put in. It was then that the family again came together with him to see him through this very difficult point in his life.

He decided to take up my advice to further his education in ITE. I could feel his inferiority everytime a relative asks about me and then about him. It almost seemed as him he wanted to dig a hole to hide himself everytime he was asked this burning question. Nevertheless, he persevered and worked hard in his ITE years. His ITE education helped to build up his self-esteem, boost his level of confidence and gave him a taste of success for the first time in his life.

Why am I writing all these? It is because, yesterday, he received a letter telling him that he was accepted into the course of his choice in Temasek Poly. Despite the fact that he will be 24 by the time he enters Poly, 27 by the time he finishes his Poly, 30 if he decides to pursue his degree, I can now proudly announce to the world that I am proud of his determination and drive. I have learnt much from my brother and I can see why God has brought him into my life. By the way, there is no longer sibling rivalry between us. We are happy for each other's achievements and we are the best friends ever! From my brother, I have learnt that "It doesn't matter how long you take but it is how you do it that matters".

Hey Brother, see you this Saturday! I still owe you 2 badminton sessions!

|