.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Monday, November 29, 2004

Ouch it hurts!
It's the time of the month when I have to visit my dentist, Dr Lee, at Selegie again. Despite his constant efforts to make me feel comfortable and at home in his dental clinic, somehow, the fact that I have to see him makes me shudder in fear. I never quite enjoyed my visits to the dentist.

Call me whatever names you like, but I do admit that I am frightened and abhor the monthly visits at seeing the man in white. I would have to drag myself all the way to Selegie area just to endure pain. Blame it on the fact that I have some jaw problem and malatrusion (dental term for bad bite). This probably implies that if I persist with my set of teeth without my braces, I might suffer greater complications later in life. The possibilities of not being able to talk and losing all my teeth made me think twice about not putting on braces. Perhaps I am over-exaggerating it, however, I do feel that it is better to be safe than sorry, especially to a chatty little bird like me! All the pain and trouble is secondary to the fact that braces cause me to have less than perfect pronunciations or mis-pronunciation of word (rather important because I teach English), a constant escaping of air from between my teeth when I speak (It's improving now) and the embarrassment I have to face when leafy-green veggies get stuck onto my ceramic brackets. Haha, imagine talking to someone cute with him having to point out, "Hey, there're some greens on your teeth!". Arrghhh...I cannot imagine!

Anyway, today's session was slightly more painful than usual. Hey, I'm not someone who cries pain easily. In fact, I pride myself to be braver and stronger than most girls when it comes to controlling emotions! I did not flinch or even bat my eyelid when Dr Lee extracted my 2 premolars. He even had to use some surgical instrument to pry out one of the broken teeth embedded in my gums when the tooth broke halfway. My lips were the size of 2 cocktail sausages then (It's true! No kidding!).

I am upset because I can only consume soupy stuff today. Solid food is a big no-no. Looking at my father eat his heart out during dinner didn't make me feel any better. Sigh... Why so I have this stupid jaw problem? Why did I put on braces?

Hey, I am comforted by the fact that I have only 17 more sessions with Dr Lee, 17 more sessions of hearing the shrill sound of the drill and experiencing the nasty salty taste of the air abrasion device. Perhaps in 17 months time, I might be at the same computer blogging about how grateful I am to have gone through the process of wearing braces and even put up some before and after pictures of my teeth.

But meanwhile...back to my world of discomfort and pain...*whimpers*

|