.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Theresa's Wedding
Decided not to blog about my trip to Johor but about the wedding dinner I attended yesterday as it was far more exciting.

Yesterday was Theresa's wedding at Hotel Inter-Continental, somewhere near Bugis. Anyway, Isabel agreed to meeting up prior the dinner at around 7.30 pm. BIG mistake! By 7.25 pm, I was already loithering around Bugis Junction with no sight of Isabel. Thinking that she might be only slightly late, I went around window shopping and gave her a buzz only at 7.45pm. Guess where she was? She was only on her way, stuck in the traffic jam! So I figured that she might reach around 8pm and I went exploring Bugis Junction yet again. Hungry, I bought 2 sticks of Japanese Satay (cant remember what it's called, some toki-something) and walked around Seiyu munching away, looking rather pathetic.

Anyway at 8.20pm, Isabel messaged me to tell me that she was stuck at the carpark as there were no parking lots. Well, I was already waiting for her at the hotel lobby. It was after waiting for a further 10 mins that I decided to make my way up to the Grand Ballroom 2. Upon arrival, I was given a fridge magnet that had the couples photographs on it. How sweet! The couple too made use of Polaroid technology to create a special album for keepsake. They used the Polaroid camera to take pictures of all the guests and got them to sign in their album. Hmmmm... this, I thought was such a great idea!

Anyhow, I managed to see Theresa dressed in her wedding finery and wow, I must say, she has slimmed down so much since I had last seen her. I do not recall seeing her jawbone and collarbones being so defined before. I must say she looked gorgeous and extremely radiant! Isabel arrived in the nick of time, 5 mins before the bride and groom started the ceremony. What a close shave!

We were seated at table 35, with Theresa's ex-classmates from St Nics and ACJC, 6 females. There was also an Italian at the table, or so he claimed, to be the groom's friend's friend. It was weird because that table was supposed to be belonging to the bride's side. Couldn't recall his name but apparently, he was a Muslim and did not eat pork. He was especially irritatingly chatty and he had a funny accent. Anyway, we sensed something was wrong but just kept quiet. He claimed to be a lecturer from NUS and when we asked him what the groom's (Tom) occupation was, he mentioned causually that Tom was his colleague doing chemical research. What was stranger was that after every dish, he would simply disappear from the room for a long time until the next dish was served. At his every departure, the girls at the table, including me, would be gossiping about how strange he was. We started to suspect something fishy was going on and asked Theresa about this friend of her husband's when she was making her rounds. Ironically, she did not know him as well!

The weird guy stayed to eat and make conversation until the fourth dish. After which, he disappeared altogether. Nevertheless, the girls were more comfortable with his absence. However, there was this constant nagging feeling that he might appear again suddenly. Sad to say we did not really enjoy the dinner because of him.

At the end of the wedding dinner, Isabel and I went to ask Theresa about her husband's occupation. She told us that Tom was a contractor.

So who was that man who sat with us for the 4 courses? Was he a gatecrasher out for a free meal? How come it was so easy for a total stranger to sneak into a wedding dinner without anyone noticing? These were some of the brooding questions that stayed with me as I left the wedding dinner...




|