.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Sunday, January 30, 2005

A Day To Remember
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to make a trip to Christalite Methodist Home(somewhere in Woodlands), an old folk's home funded by my church. I was not exactly looking forward to the trip there but my father asked my brother and I along. The home was having a Chinese New Year Celebration on that day and they threw a celebratory dinner for the old folks. Somehow, my instincts told me that I needed to make a trip there. So, we went in my dad's car, together with Mrs Poh(a 76 year old close family+church friend).

Upon arrival, I was greeted by the smell of faint dettol and a slight muskiness I could not put my finger to(perhaps it was the smell of age). The home had a sterile, clinical look and very much resembles a hospital. By then, the old folks had already congregated at the main hall, ready for the party to begin.

Somehow, the party atmosphere was rather different from the parties that I have been. Despite the fact that Chinese New Year songs were blaring in the background, no one actually stood up to dance, with the exception of 2-3 old folks whom I heard danced to the music regardless of the occasion. The old folks all looked as if they had the same expressions on their faces, looking blank and distant, almost as if they were deep in thought. Somehow, I felt a tinge of sadness, looking at their faces. It felt as if the world has left them behind and their heavily wrinkled faces spoke volumes of the life they had witnessed and their experiences with the world.

However, the gloom started to lift when the performancers(from The Third Place) danced and sang for the old folks. The weary faces of the old folks broke out into faint smiles and they clapped and responded actively to the music. Somehow, the atmosphere had transformed. There were jokes, laughing and perhaps some whispering as well. Even though the performance was not very well-rehearsed, I believe that the old folks were impressed by the love and warmth emitted by the performers.

We gave out the "Kum"(mandarin oranges) to the residents. Perhaps to us, 2 oranges may not mean very much. To them, the "Kums" allowed them a chance to interact with other people outside the home. Many were grateful when I pressed the "Kums" gently into their open palms and greeted them with with a cheery "Uncle/Auntie, Happy New Year" in Hokkien. Most were delighted.

The party ended not long after.

I have learnt so much from this trip. I realise that sometimes, we are so blessed, yet we simply take everything we have for granted. The old folks are grateful that they have food to eat, a roof to sleep and doctors and nurses to care for them. A little touch from us means so much.

On the way home, I was thinking about the number of old folks who have to resort to sleeping in the streets, with no one to care for them, with no proper bed to sleep in and no roof over their heads.

Somehow, I have learnt to give thanks for what I have. Somehow, the problems that I'm facing at work and in my life seem so trivial. It was this trip that has made me see things from a different perspective. I will learn to treasure what I have taken for granted all these years, my supportive family, my good friends who never fail to lend a listening year when I am down, even to some angels who add a smile to my face whenever work gets difficult. =)

|