.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Roar is Back!
Ironic as it seems, I watched the Tiger Cup finals between Singapore and Indonesia. Why the irony, you may ask? Well, it's simply because I am no ardent soccer fan; neither am I a die-hard Lions supporter but I watched the entire match. It's amazing that my attention span lasted longer that the stamina of the Lions. -_-

I was not at the stadium. Neither was I at the stands. Instead, I was lying down comfortably on my cushion at home watching the Lions and Indonesians struggle to kick a ball into each others' goal posts. Somehow, I felt exercised watching the Lions stretch, dribble and even stealing their opponents' ball from right under their noses. The reason I watched the match? Well, it was simply a psychological issue - that my support would make a difference to the Lions winning the match. Just as simple as that! I watched the Lions' first goal early into the match. When they had scored their second, I instanteously knew that the Indonesians' confidence would be shakened and their resolve to win would crumble. Somehow, deep down in my heart, I had a silent confidence that the Lions would not disappoint the crowd supporting them at the stadium and at home. Even when the Indonesian team made a breakthrough by scoring a goal in the 76th minute, I was unfazed and was certain that victory would belong to us.

I was neither shocked nor surprised when the Lions won the Tiger Cup. The determination to win was all written on the players' faces. Their desire to conquer the cup had spurred them on to defend their vulnerable goal post. It was a celebration indeed when the Lions brought home the trophy. No doubt they were advantaged as they were playing on home ground. However, as a Singaporean, I can now proudly proclaim that the Lions have regained their majestic roar, that their ardous training was not in vain! Kudos to the Lions!


|