.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Testing Testing...
I have decided that I would blog more often. Looking back at my posts, blogging is definitely something that helps keep my mind sane.
Therefore, I shall persevere because I have tons of new stuff to blog about.

I was rather disappointed with a group of students yesterday because they didn't turn up for CCA as they wanted to study for their common tests. Frankly speaking, there's nothing wrong with studying for common tests. I was a student once and I can perfectly understand their anxiety to perform well.

Perhaps I was like them once. Equally fervent, equally anxious.

Now that I am an adult, my views have altered quite significantly. Indeed, the common tests do push these students to revise their topics and stretch their ability to be more consistent. It’s definitely of great benefit to these angels.

When I see these angels struggling so hard to do well in their tests, somehow I paused to think: Are we preparing these angels for a life of tests or the test of life? These 2 mean very different things to me. A life of tests would probably mean preparing for 1 test after another but preparing them for the test of life would mean that we equip them with the necessary skills and attitudes for them to overcome and resolve any problems they have by adaptation.

Frankly speaking, I don’t feel adequate to answer the question that I myself have put forth. However, I do believe that the latter would bring these angels further in their journey in education. After all, how much can an A1 in a subject speak of a person? Can it tell the person’s attitude, personality or even work performance?

I doubt so.

Rather, I have seen people with great attitudes with mediocre grades achieve more success in life. Somehow, a piece of paper can only bring you a certain distance. To go a greater distance, attitude plays a more solid role.

An acquaintance passed away on Monday. When I first got to know her, she was a student from the same secondary school. Later that year, I realized that she was also a distant cousin of mine when she came to my house for CNY visitation. I never had a chance to get to know her better. For me, it was always ‘hi’ and ‘bye’, accompanied by a shy smile on my face. I have heard much about her, her vibrant personality, her bubbly character, and sense of optimism, her quick-wittedness and so much more. Even when we met each other again in NUS, we remained as mere acquaintances.

The day before, I received news from my father that Z had passed away. The minute I heard it, I recoiled in shock before I stammered in asking my dad for confirmation. Obviously, it was a piece of news I was unprepared in receiving. For Z was in her prime. The last time I saw her in NUS, she was an attractive and vivacious young woman who was outgoing yet enthusiastic about the subjects she took. I later heard that after graduation, she became an air-stewardess but quit due to poor health. She soon joined a coffee company. What I never expected that she was struck by cancer of the lymph nodes.

Yesterday, I caught a news report of Z in the Chinese newspaper, proclaiming her zeal and zest for life even though she was struck by a disease which would have rendered many wallowing in depression. She fought hard against the virus in her body; to the extent of having to shave her head bald for chemotherapy.

I cannot imagine having to shave my head bald. Yet, she did it without any resistance.

In her illness, she continued to work even harder, for she knew she didn’t have much time left. Because of her zest for work, she was awarded with certifications for excellence in service despite her illness.

When I saw Z in the coffin, my heart went out to her. For I no longer saw a slim and vivacious Z I once knew. Her bloated face spoke volumes of the suffering she had undergone for 2 years. However, the endless stream of relatives, friends and colleagues told me a greater story of the wonderful legacy that she had left behind. The legacy of a warrior and a fighter. Despite the fact that the cancer had taken over her body, she had left behind something more.

I wonder what I would have done if I were in her shoes.

Dear angels, in life, create a legacy that extends beyond a piece of paper. For it would be this ability to conquer the test of life that would be far more valuable than a life of tests. Do well in your studies but don't make studies your only purpose in life.

For life is so much more than that.

|