.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Zhap Gou Meh Feast
This entry is rather late, but well, better late than never!

If you are Chinese, you'll probably know what Zhap Gou Meh means. It means the fifteen day of the lunar calendar. Normally, the Chinese will get together on the last day of Chinese New Year. For us Singaporeans, it means getting together to feast. At least for my family and some of my church friends.

Well, my dad decided to organise a get-together for some close church friends. I guess he must have many close friends for he invited 30+ people. Anyway, it was fortunate that he made it potluck style, otherwise my mum, maid and I would never be able to cook up a storm.

Anyway, Mama Poh brought along an 8.9kg orange-peel ham. Don't ask me what that is. All I know is that the citron gave the ham a tangy taste. I guess the picture actually speaks for itself. For your information, the slices of ham virtually melted upon contact. Haha that's how delicious it is!


Mama Poh's 8.9 kg ham


Mama Poh's garlic spread also put the ones at Pizza Hut to shame. The bread was spread with a generous serving of garlic spread before they were popped into the oven. Not long after, the tantalising aroma of garlic soon drifted into the kitchen. After the bread was ready, they were cooled for a further 5 mins before they were popped into the oven once more. This time round, the bread turned crispy and golden brown.


Mama Poh's garlic bread


Auntie Irene volunteered to cook her signature dish - Mee Siam. It was delicious even without the gravy.


Auntie Irene's Mee Siam


Ma spent the whole Saturday afternoon rolling her famous Ngoh Hiang (Minced pork and Prawns encased in beancurd sheets). The recipe for Ngoh Hiang was passed down from my grandmother. The ingredients had to be minced before mixing them altogether and placing them on carefully cut beancurd sheets. They had to be steamed. For better taste, my family normally cuts them up and deep fry them till they turned brown.



Ma's Ngoh Hiang


Oh, I helped out in this. My job for that day was to shred chickens. I shredded 1 whole chicken and 4 breasts. After the experience, I never wanted to look at another chicken again. ROTFL. However, I was complimented by Mama Poh for the detailed shredding.


Chicken macaroni


An auntie (Edna) I think brought a Kueh Lapis.


Kueh Lapis



Carved Ham


Another auntie brought a box filled with mangoes. Auntie Mary brought a huge plate of Yu Sheng. We brewed 2 jugs of fresh coffee.

It’s crazy just looking at the amount of food there was.


Mangoes


Bro and I made fruit punch and added a special dash in the name of Vodka. For dessert, we had a concoction of Ching Chao and ice-cream.


Vodka


At the end of the day, we were stuffed. I guess this will be a great year since our Zhap Gou Meh was food-ful!

|