.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
mbanner.gif">

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Second Chances
Children Live What They Learn

If a child lives with criticism,he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility,he learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule,he learns to feel shy.
If a child lives with shame,he learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance,he learns patience.
If a child lives with encouragement,he learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise,he learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness,he learns justice.
If a child lives with security,he learns to have faith. I
f a child lives with approval,he learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,he learns to find love in the world.

-Author Unknown-

Somehow the above sounds too idealistic too happen in a real world.
I have been pondering over this notion of a second chance for the past few days. Was rather heartbroken when I heard the news of an angel who made a grave mistake. One that was made out of folly. He was genuinely sorry and looked rather regretful over what he had done. Anyway, I certainly hope that he can be given a second chance and that he can learn that the world is actually a place filled with forgiveness and make amends for the silly act of his.

In my schooling years, I have been blessed enough to receive second chances, time and again. These second chances were fundamental to my growth as a teenager who was struggling with issues like studies, pride, fun and friends. I must admit that I was never the teacher's pet nor mama's girl. I disliked the idea of studying then for I felt there was no purpose in reading textbook after textbook. There was always an underlying strain of rebelliousness in me. It was not a surprise when I did badly in my JCs, so badly that my dad had to pay a visit to the VP's office. The orginal intention of the VP was of course to send a clear signal that I had to set my priorities right. Instead, Dad went in and gave the VP a severe tongue-lashing, for not giving his daughter a second chance to work on her subjects. I was rather taken aback by Dad's behaviour but thought nothing of it till I grew much older. Thinking back, I'm definitely grateful that Dad showed his support for me by giving me space and time to grow. For in his own ways, he gave me a second chance. For although the JC syllabus was demanding, I was totally disinterested in studying then. Perhaps the subjects did not appeal to me at all - demand and supply in economics, polar coordinates were all alien and lacked relevance to me.

I only found greater passion in my studies during my university years. Perhaps the increase in freedom and the appeal to take up Psychology and Maths spurred me to learn beyond the mere confines of the syllabus. The 17-period a week timetable allowed me to find myself back again in time. I found my confidence and love for studying for I was passionate about the things I did.

Somehow, now that I'm a teacher, I always hope that my angels can be given that second chance when they fall. I always believe that the best time to make mistakes is while one is in school. Of course, students always have the luxury of youth and innocence to use as their trunp cards. The real world is never so forgiving.

I'm one who believes in giving out second chances, having been a recepient of it myself. It's not that I'm kind, weak-willed or easy-swayed. But I'm sure, in time to come, these angels, like me, will appreciate the second chance they were given.

One thing that is for sure: second chances don't come thrice.

|